Look back at history, one of the main job of the main job of the domesticated dog has been to protect its owner and protect them from unwanted people and other animals. While many dogs will naturally act as a home guardians, there are specific breeds that are known for possessing the characteristics needed to best ward off unwanted intruders. Top 10 dog breeds for protection has been classified by the below factors:
Due to their physical strength, temperament, courage, loyalty, resistance to pain, expert dog trainers consider the following breeds to be the top 10 dog breeds for protection / guard dogs.
Top 10 Dog Breeds for Protection
1. Bull Mastiff – famous for its physical strength, protective instincts and extreme family loyalty. Bull mastiff defend the intruders by its physical strength and knock them down since this breed is really a giant in size. This breed is very docile in family environment.
2. Doberman pinscher – Are you an owner of large property which needs to be guard by someone, then Doberman pinscher will do that for you. This breed is incredibly fast and can able to reach or chase intruders with short amount of time. Doberman pinscher known as the fifth smartest dog breed in the world. Fearless and loyal.
3. Rottweiler – Known as the cattle-protectors. Very intelligent and loyal to their owners. They are aloof with strangers until properly introduced to them. Also Rottweiler’s are quick learners.
4. Komodor – Traditionally used to protect herds of sheep. This breed possesses a natural dog ability. Very active, courageous, loyal, known for its dignity and strength. Proper socialization will make this breed as a devoted family pet.
5. Puli – They are suspicious. They are always alert and will bark to alert their owners of anything out of normal. Pulis are very smart. They make great additions to families with active lifestyle as they love hiking, running and all outdoor activities.
6. Giant Schnauzer – Giant Schnauzers are very strong and powerful and very dominant which requires a strict dog training. This breed needs constant attention and mental and physical stimulation. Giant Schnauzers are compact and intimidating. Their extreme family loyalty makes them great guard dogs.
7. German shepherd – German shepherds are bold, confident and fearless. This breed is extremely intelligent and quick learners thus making them a favorite police dog breed. German shepherd have a calm demeanor’s when in a household but can react quickly when their family or home threatened.
8. Rhodesian ridgeback – Originally bred to hunt lions, this dog has very strong prey drive and tends to be independent in nature. Naturally very loyal which makes them very good guard dog. This breed must be properly trained and managed as they are not naturally obedient.
9. Kuvasz – Very territorial and has very strong instinct to guard its family and home. The kuvasz tends to be aloof with strangers but craves affection from its family.
10. Stafford-shire terrier – This breed will confuse you often with American pit bull terrier. This breed was bred for bear and bull fighting. Very aggressive and its protective natures makes them an excellent guard dogs but it required a proper socialization training. They make very good household pet and being aggressive when they needs to protect their family.